In light of the prolonged delay in completing the transitional power structures in Sudan, the head of the Sovereignty Council – Abdel Fattah al-Burhan – made angry statements last Thursday, in which he waved to announce an emergency government due to the failure of the political incubator to agree on a new ministerial formation that was supposed to be announced several months ago.
According to information obtained by Al-Jazeera Net from identical sources, Al-Burhan’s threats, which he made during the Partners Council meeting last Thursday, to bypass the parties and declare an emergency government headed by Abdullah Hamdok, were intended only to pressure the other parties to speed up the settlement of their differences over power sharing.
The Council of Partners includes the military component of the Sovereignty Council, the Prime Minister, representatives of the Forces of Freedom and Change, and the Revolutionary Front organizations, which are the factions that signed a peace agreement with the government on October 3, 2020.
The sources said that Al-Burhan’s speech was raised within a narrow circle that included military and civilian leaders, and that the military spoke openly about their willingness to go out to public opinion and inform it that the crisis was caused by the Freedom and Change Alliance, which impedes the formation of the government and the completion of government institutions due to its failure to resolve the differences of its parties and their struggles for power. When the military component is subjected to severe criticism because of the crisis situation that the government is going through with the worsening economic situation.
The sources added that it is inconceivable for 6 ministries to work over a period of 8 months with ministers in charge, and some of them work from within to sabotage the door to opponents to criticize the government, so the military want to accelerate the formation of the government with the joining of the parties to peace, so that everyone takes responsibility for the situation and searches for solutions to the crises.
Journalist and political analyst Ammar Awad – to Al-Jazeera Net – confirms the growing discontent within the Council of Partners, especially the military, due to the delay in the government formation and the widespread political and security turmoil that follows, but – as he says – they know at the same time the difficulty of passing the idea of forming an emergency government due to the delay in the formation that began. He moves better despite the obstacles he faces.
Awad believes that leaking the threats of the President of the Sovereignty Council to the media would serve two basic lines, the first is to urge the parties to the partnership in the government to expedite their announcement, and the second is that these statements are perpetuated in the long run by the public opinion that the problem resides in the political parties and when the crisis worsens the street Ready to accept any action taken by the military component and the prime minister, even if it violates the constitutional document.
And he continues, “All indications are proceeding that the new government is not exclusive to freedom, change and the revolutionary front, and that the current trend of the prime minister is to accompany the visions of the angry entities of the ruling coalition, including the Communist Party and the gathering of professionals where arrangements are made to meet with their representatives and consult with them regarding the formation of the government, and this may be.” Leads to delay the announcement of the new ministry. “
Under the violent pressure exerted by the partner military component in the Sudanese transitional government, the Council of Partners agreed, in its meeting held at the end of last week, on a timetable that set dates for completing the formation of governance structures, as the transitional government took over the reins of power in August 2019.
The latest matrix among the ruling partners in Sudan stipulated that January 31 will be the date for the presentation of the government program, and that the formation of the Sovereignty Council and the Council of Ministers will be announced on February 4, and it has also set mid-February as the date for appointing governors, provided that the formation of the Legislative Council is Transitional and Commissions on the 25th of the same month.
And so far it does not seem realistic that the ministerial formation could be announced at the set date, due to the exacerbation of the differences of the ruling partners, especially the Revolutionary Front, and their inability to push the list of agreed-upon nominations to the Prime Minister, which makes Al-Burhan’s threats logical in the eyes of the South Sudanese mediation team’s rapporteur, Dhieu Matouk. .
Mutouk says – in a televised interview on Monday night – that “some of the parties that signed the Juba peace agreement are talking about the desire to retreat from the understandings that were reached in the Juba platform regarding power sharing.”
He explained that the leaders of the center and northern tracks and others believe that the Darfur track has captured the lion’s share in the division of power, and its affiliates have nominated ministerial portfolios without leaving room for the rest of the partners, although the authority agreement stipulated that the Revolutionary Front as an organization would be given 25% of the seats in the executive government.
Mutouk pointed to the intervention of a group of Ajaweed in an attempt to address the differences between the components of the Revolutionary Front, to help accelerate the submission of candidate lists to the Prime Minister and meet the matrix deadline following the formation of the government on February 4.
Under the peace agreement, the Revolutionary Front organizations share power with 3 members in the Sovereignty Council, 7 members in the Council of Ministers, and 25% of the total seats in the executive body, in addition to sharing power in the Darfur region and the two regions.
Al-Sadiq Ali al-Nur, a spokesman for the Sudan Liberation Movement led by Mona Arko Minawi – to Al-Jazeera Net – confirms that consultations will continue in their organization to name a candidate for the Ministry of Minerals and the Governor of the Darfur region, expecting that the discussions will be resolved no later than Tuesday to speed up the handover of names to the Prime Minister.
It is noteworthy that Minawi had split from the main revolutionary front a few months ago, and formed an organization that included allies from eastern and central Sudan and other Darfurian forces in the name of the revolutionary front as well.
On the other hand, the Revolutionary Front factions led by Al-Hadi Idris continued consultations that extended from Monday noon until late in the evening, in a vigorous effort to resolve the nomination of 7 names for ministerial portfolios, which is the front’s share in the new government formation, amid reports of deep differences between the components of the coalition.
On Sunday, 5 revolutionary front factions, led by Minawi, warned of the formation of a new government based on quotas that does not reflect the participation of all the people of Sudan. The head of the Wasat Path, Tom Hjo, said that “the transitional government is close to announcing a new government, and that the Revolutionary Front is ringing the alarm,” calling on the President Ministers not to limit his consultations to one category.
Indeed, sources close to the prime minister, who received the list of freedom and change candidates for the ministries on Monday evening, say that he decided to consult with influential partisan and civic forces, including the Civic Gathering and the National Party, and had already held meetings with representatives of them in which he informed them of his desire for the new ministerial formation to express and be considerate to all Sudanese For pluralism and diversity, which drives more to postpone the government announcement on February 4.