Home / news / Attempts to circumvent Trump’s ban, with Twitter and YouTube shutting down his channel, and Google blocking political ads for his supporters

Attempts to circumvent Trump’s ban, with Twitter and YouTube shutting down his channel, and Google blocking political ads for his supporters

CNN reported that officials in the administration of outgoing US President Donald Trump tried to use accounts run by his campaign via Twitter to post tweets in his name, after his account was blocked on the site after the congressional storming of his supporters last week.

However, the network indicated – in a report today, Wednesday – that Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of the US President and his advisor, intervened to prevent the opening of Trump accounts on alternative social media sites that constitute a haven for those it described as extremists.

CNN reported that Trump lacks a comprehensive legal strategy to confront his impeachment measures that began in Congress, and that his aides in the White House expect Trump to see his impeachment measures on television throughout the day.

After he was accused of inciting violence by his supporters in Congress a week ago, the accounts of the US President on social media platforms, including Twitter and Facebook, were subjected to either a final or temporary ban.

Trump condemned the closure or suspension of his accounts, and stressed that he could not be silenced, while those close to him described this step as gagging and an attack on freedom of expression.

Google and YouTube

In the context, Google decided to block all political ads and any content indicating the storming of Congress by protesters supporting President Donald Trump, starting tomorrow, Thursday.

Google’s decision came against the backdrop of the unprecedented events of the past week, ahead of the inauguration of US President-elect Joe Biden.

The ban includes various Google advertising platforms, including YouTube.

And Google announced that a new version of its policies that relate to sensitive events, entered into force after the storming of Congress.

For his part، Google’s YouTube site on Tuesday temporarily suspended Trump’s channel, removing a video clip for violating the site’s rules that prohibit incitement to violence.

The site said in a statement that the channel is now temporarily banned from uploading new content, for at least until 7 days.

The video-sharing platform confirmed that it would “disable comments indefinitely” on Trump’s channel, citing safety concerns.

The US President’s YouTube account has 2.77 million subscribers.

And Facebook suspended Trump accounts on its platform and the Instagram platform, after a crowd of his supporters stormed the Capitol, temporarily disrupting the approval session for Joe Biden’s victory in the presidential election.

Charged with incitement

Announcing the comment last week, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Trump was using the platform to incite violence, expressing concern that he would continue to do so.

Twitter went further, shutting down Trump’s account and depriving him of his favorite platform. Before that, the platform deliberately placed warning signs on his tweets questioning the election results.

The company also removed more than 70,000 accounts linked to the “QAnon” movement, which supports the conspiracy theory that considers Donald Trump a hero.

The Trump channel’s YouTube homepage includes a month-old video in which he questioned the polling process in the presidential election last November, which garnered 5.8 million views.

On Tuesday, activists called on YouTube to join other platforms that have suspended Trump’s accounts, threatening a campaign to boycott his ads.




Source link

Leave a Reply