Violent confrontations between Armenian separatists and the Azerbaijani army continued Monday morning in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, as officials in the disputed region announced the killing of 32 Armenian militants.
A spokesman for the Armenian Ministry of Defense said in a statement that “violent confrontations continued during the night,” while officials at the Ministry of Defense in Karabakh confirmed the killing of 15 militants, raising the death toll among armed separatists to 32 since the confrontations broke out on Sunday.
The Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense warned Armenia “for the last time” of the consequences of continuing its attacks on residential areas. The ministry said in a statement, on Monday, that the Armenian army targeted, in the morning hours, residential areas in the city of Tertir, near the Nagorno Karabakh region.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry also affirmed that Armenian forces bombed civilian installations in the city of Tertir, and called on the international community to condemn Armenian forces’ targeting of civilians in Azerbaijan.
The Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office stated that 5 members of one family were killed in the shelling by the Armenian forces.
On the other hand, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry published scenes of destroyed Armenian tanks and armored vehicles during the clashes that took place between the two sides since yesterday.
On Sunday, clashes broke out on the front line between Azerbaijan and Armenia, after Armenian forces fired on civilian residential sites in Azerbaijan.
In a statement, the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense stated that the Armenian fire caused civilian casualties, as well as causing great damage to the civilian infrastructure in a number of villages that were subjected to heavy Armenian bombing.
The Al-Jazeera correspondent confirmed that flights to and from Baku Airport in Azerbaijan would be stopped due to the declaration of a state of war in the country. He also revealed that the Armenian authorities have closed the road leading to the northern part of the Nagorno Karabakh region.
According to media reports, since 1992, Armenia has occupied about 20% of the Azerbaijani lands, which include the Karabakh region (consisting of 5 provinces), and 5 other provinces in the west of the country, in addition to large parts of the provinces of Aghdam and Fadhuli.
Calls to calm down
For its part, the Russian Foreign Ministry announced that the escalation in Nagorny Karabakh is very dangerous and that the two parties are using heavy weapons after a long interruption. Moscow also called on all foreign parties concerned to exercise restraint regarding the escalation.
Interfax news agency quoted Armenia’s ambassador to Moscow as saying that Turkey sent 4,000 militants from northern Syria to Azerbaijan. However, Reuters confirmed this morning that Azerbaijan denied sending Turkey militants from northern Syria to its territory.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif announced that he was in two contacts with his Armenian and Azerbaijani counterparts to cease fire and start negotiations to achieve stability.
For his part, the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman said that the course of the military confrontation is not a solution to the problem between Azerbaijan and Armenia, and called on both countries to exercise restraint and stop the battles between them immediately.
Turkey said it was holding talks with members of the Minsk Group, which mediates between Armenia and Azerbaijan, and is co-chaired by Russia, France and the United States.
The Minsk group, which is affiliated with the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, had succeeded in mediating between Azerbaijan and Armenia to sign a ceasefire agreement in 1994 in the disputed region, but clashes have occurred since then intermittently.
The United Nations, Russia, France, Germany and the European Union also called for an immediate ceasefire in the disputed region. Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed the current tension with his Armenian counterpart, calling for an end to hostilities.
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) called on Armenia and Azerbaijan to immediately cease hostilities that have caused civilian casualties, and James Appatoray, Special Representative of the Secretary-General of NATO in the Caucasus and Central Asia, stressed that there is no military solution to this conflict, and urged the parties to resume negotiations in order to reach a settlement. Peaceful conflict.