The number of deaths in the world due to the Covid-19 epidemic increased at a record daily rate, and while the mutated strains continued to be transmitted to other countries, a team from the World Health Organization began its tasks in the Chinese city of Wuhan to investigate the circumstances of the emergence of the Corona virus.
For the first time since the outbreak of the epidemic, more than 18,000 deaths were recorded in the world within 24 hours last Tuesday, according to the French Press Agency’s census based on data published by the health authorities.
The agency said that this figure confirms the increase in the number of victims curve in the recent period, noting that the world has recorded 14 thousand daily deaths on average since January 22, compared to 10 thousand at the end of November of last year.
In total, the world counted more than two million and 160,000 deaths from Covid-19, out of confirmed cases that crossed the threshold of one hundred million.
In light of this epidemiological situation, experts from the World Health Organization left their hotel today, Thursday, in the Chinese city of Wuhan, where they were under quarantine for two weeks, and began their field investigation to find out the origin of the Corona virus that appeared in that city at the end of 2019.
And the French Press Agency said that a team affiliated with it saw dozens of investigators boarding a bus that was waiting for them at the entrance to the hotel, and leaving to an unknown destination.
Outbreaks of mutated copies
Meanwhile, new strains of the Corona virus continue to spread in many countries, and the World Health Organization announced yesterday, Wednesday, that the British strain was monitored in 70 countries, while the South African strain was monitored in 31 countries.
With the growing concern about these strains and their virulence, the American company Pfizer and German (BioNTech) confirmed today that their joint vaccine is effective against the British and South African versions.
Morocco begins vaccination
On the other hand, Morocco begins today a vaccination campaign to prevent corona virus, after receiving doses from the British company AstraZeneca and the Chinese Sinopharm.
Yesterday, the royal palace said in a statement that Morocco, after receiving “a batch of batches of the vaccine against Covid-19, is available in sufficient quantities to launch the national campaign for vaccination in the best of circumstances.”
He added that this process will take place “in a gradual manner, and it will benefit all Moroccan citizens and foreigners residing in Morocco, between the ages of 17 and over 75 years old.”
To date, at least 79 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines have been used in 69 countries and territories, according to an AFP count.
But vaccines remain a privilege of the “high-income” countries (according to the classification of the World Bank) that have used 62% of the total doses used so far, while their population does not exceed 16% of the total world population.
In terms of the precautionary restrictions and closure measures that continue to curb the virus, the Israeli Ministry of Interior announced on Wednesday the closure of land crossings with Jordan and Egypt.
“To complete the joint efforts to prevent the increase in disease rates, Interior Minister Aryeh Deri announced that the land crossings will be closed to Israelis and foreigners,” the ministry said in a statement.