Under the agreement, the IAEA will continue its inspections for a period of 3 months, and it will remain under constant review for its extension or suspension
The International Atomic Energy Agency and Iran announced that they had reached a temporary technical agreement regarding inspections of nuclear facilities.
Iranian Vice President and Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi and Director of the International Atomic Energy Agency Rafael Grossi issued a joint statement saying that the Iranian Atomic Energy Organization informed the IAEA that, in respect of the law approved by the Iranian Parliament, Tehran will stop applying the measures on February 23 this year. Voluntary as stipulated in the nuclear deal.
The statement added that in order to allow the International Atomic Energy Agency to continue the inspection work, a temporary technical agreement was reached under which the IAEA would continue inspections for a period of 3 months.
The joint statement also declares that Iran will continue fully and without any limits to the comprehensive safeguards agreement that it collects with the International Atomic Energy Agency.
For his part, Grossi said that the International Atomic Energy Agency will continue verification procedures and inspection activities in Iran’s nuclear facilities during a period of 3 months, provided that this agreement remains under continuous follow-up.
“We confirmed first that Iran will continue to implement the agreement without any restrictions, as it has done so far,” Grossi said in a press conference yesterday evening, Sunday, after returning from a visit to Tehran.
He said, “In light of the law, we have reached a temporary bilateral technical agreement and an understanding through which the agency will continue verification procedures and inspection activities for a period of 3 months, and we have agreed to follow this understanding that we have reached and it will remain under continuous review if we want to extend or suspend it.”
But Grossi said that the pace of inspectors arriving at Iranian sites will decrease and there will be no more surprise inspections. “What we have agreed on is something that is applicable and useful to bridge the gap between us and save the situation now.”
A call for corrective actions
In the same context, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that the United States of America that “violated the nuclear agreement” should take “corrective measures”, stressing that Tehran would respond to this immediately and positively.
He also stressed that it is possible to start talks with Washington, and to quickly back down from his country’s commitment to the nuclear agreement, if the rest of the parties abide by the agreement.
He said that Washington has a way to move with a logical sequence of commitment, action and meeting. He added, “There is a complete failure on the American and European sides to implement their obligations in the nuclear deal.”
“We have reduced our level of commitment, but we have always said that this decision can be reversed. The moment these parties return to full commitment, we will return to our full commitment,” he said.
Today, Monday, European foreign ministers will hold consultations in Brussels, in which US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken will participate with video technology, and Iran’s nuclear file will be an important point on the agenda.
Tehran had announced that it was studying a proposal submitted by the European Union to participate in an informal meeting attended by the United States with the rest of the members of the nuclear agreement, while an Iranian official confirmed that there is no meaning for any return to the agreement without verifying the seriousness of Washington.
Iranian Assistant Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that his country is studying the European proposal to hold a meeting with the participation of Washington and Tehran.
The American position
On the other hand, US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said Sunday that his country is ready to reach a binding agreement with Iran if it returns to compliance with its obligations.
Sullivan said in press statements that Iran has not yet responded to the call for negotiation, and that “it is currently isolated and not the United States,” adding that “the ball is now in its court.”
The US official stressed that President Joe Biden’s administration believes that diplomacy is the best way to prevent Tehran from gaining access to a nuclear bomb.
He added that Tehran has refused to cooperate with the IAEA in the work it is trying to do to ensure that Iran’s program is not used for weapons purposes.