European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said, “We have to put the nuclear deal back on track and build confidence among its parties.”
Britain, France and Germany expressed their regret today, Tuesday, at Iran’s decision to limit international inspections of its nuclear facilities, and called on it to reverse the decision, and for its part, the International Atomic Energy Agency said that the ongoing dialogue with Tehran has not yielded any positive results.
A joint statement by the three countries said, “We, the foreign ministers of France, Germany and Britain, express our deep regret for Iran’s initiation … to suspend the additional protocol and transparency measures” contained in the Iranian nuclear agreement, stressing the “dangerous nature” of Tehran’s decision.
The tripartite statement urged Iran to refrain from all measures that reduce “transparency” and to ensure full and timely cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The three countries confirmed that they are trying to preserve the Iran nuclear deal, through negotiations that lead to the return of Washington and Tehran to it.
For his part, European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said, “We have to bring the nuclear agreement back on track and build confidence among its parties.”
On the other hand, the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, said that preventing Iran from entering the agency’s inspectors without taking steps by the agency will have repercussions, considering that the ongoing dialogue with Tehran has not yielded any positive results so far.
During an event hosted by the American Nuclear Risk Initiative, Grossi said that the agreement he concluded with Iran regarding the continuation of monitoring its nuclear activities for a period of up to 3 months is like a “black box.”
He explained that this agreement “allows for the continuation of monitoring and recording of all major activities” taking place during that period, so that all information can be obtained at the end.
“In other words, we will know exactly what happened and how many exact components were manufactured and how much material was processed or enriched,” he added.
Earlier today, the Iranian government welcomed the agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency to continue inspecting its nuclear facilities, and welcomed “Washington’s late steps,” which it said would put it on the right track but not sufficient, after the US State Department announced its readiness for talks with Tehran to return to the nuclear agreement. .
Tehran added that it has not yet taken a decision regarding Washington’s participation in the meeting of the Nuclear Agreement Committee, believing that it must have the conviction that this participation will have positive results.
Yesterday, it also announced the formal suspension of the additional protocol, starting today, Tuesday, which provided a wide area of inspection for its nuclear facilities after it was voluntarily implemented after the signing of the nuclear agreement in 2015.
Foreign Minister Muhammad Javad Zarif said that stopping the implementation of the additional protocol does not mean stopping cooperation with the IAEA, considering that the agreement with the latter is “an important diplomatic success.”
State TV quoted Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei yesterday as saying that his country may enrich uranium to a purity of up to 60% if it needs to, and that it will never yield to US pressure.