Home / news / Iran condemns the “adventures” in Iraq and sends messages to America about the Gulf

Iran condemns the “adventures” in Iraq and sends messages to America about the Gulf

The Iranian government affirmed its keenness on the security of Iraq and rejected any adventures threatening its stability, and revealed at the same time that it had sent messages to America about avoiding the Gulf region the risk of being drawn into war in the last days of President Donald Trump’s era.

Iranian government spokesman Ali Rabiei said today, Tuesday, that his country condemns any adventure in Iraq, and that one of its most important priorities is preserving stability and security in this country.

Rabiei added in his weekly press conference that Washington and its allies bear responsibility for any acts of sabotage and increased tension in the region.

Earlier, Iran warned against crossing “red lines” related to its security in the Gulf, after press reports of Israeli submarine movements towards the region.

Iran has stressed that it will defend itself against any “adventure” that the Donald Trump administration might take in its final days.

The US Navy announced last week that a nuclear submarine had sailed in the Strait of Hormuz, in a move that was considered a show of force as the first anniversary of the assassination of the Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani by an American strike in Iraq approaches.

Soon after, foreign press reports on Israeli media reported that an Israeli submarine had crossed the Suez Canal, also on its way to the Gulf.

On Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said, “Everyone understands what the Persian Gulf means for Iran.”

“Everyone is aware of the policies of the Islamic Republic in Iran in the field of national security and defense, and they know well how high the risk will be if they want to cross Iran’s red lines,” he added.

Messages and channels
These developments come a month after the assassination of the Iranian nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, and amid Iran’s preparations to commemorate the first anniversary of the killing of the commander of the Quds Force in the Revolutionary Guard, General Qassem Soleimani, who was assassinated in an American air strike near Baghdad airport on January 3.

The approaching anniversary date coincided with Washington accusing Tehran of being behind a missile attack targeting its embassy in Iraq, which Iran denied, reiterating its refusal to target diplomatic missions.

Khatibzadeh said, “We have sent messages to the US government and our friends in the region through various channels, lest the current American regime rush towards a new adventure in the region in its last days at the White House.”

He added, “We are not looking for tension. We have not looked for it, nor will we look for it, especially in the region, but we have no doubt about defending our country,” expressing his hope that “the rational people in Washington will be able to control the tensions.”




Source link

Leave a Reply