The Supreme Council of State and the Libyan House of Representatives agreed during talks in Cairo on the need to end the transitional phase and start arrangements for the permanent phase, while fighters from the Government of National Accord forces formed a delegation to represent them in the political dialogue that Tunisia is preparing to host a new round.
In a statement issued last night after meetings on the constitutional path that lasted 3 days in the Egyptian capital, delegations of the Supreme Council of State and the House of Representatives meeting in Tobruk said that the Cairo meetings included legal discussions about whether or not the referendum on the current draft constitution is possible.
The two delegations expressed their desire to hold a second round in Egypt to complete constructive discussions on the constitutional arrangements, and to give the parliament the opportunity to conduct a societal dialogue in order to reach constitutional consensus that would allow the country to move forward on the constitutional path.
The Cairo meetings came after talks between two delegations from the two councils, which took place in two rounds in the Moroccan city of Bouznika, and resulted in the signing of an agreement on criteria and mechanisms for appointing leadership positions in sovereign institutions. The two parties also held meetings in Montreux, Switzerland.
Two days ago, the UN mission in Libya announced the launch of political and military talks between the two main conflict parties in this country.
Preparations are underway in Tunisia to host a new round of Libyan political dialogue, and this comes amid regional and international efforts to reach a settlement to the Libyan crisis, including the adoption of a new constitution and the holding of presidential and legislative elections.
In exchange for talking about progress towards a possible political solution, Libyan officials, including a member of the Presidency Council of the Libyan Government of National Accord, warned that the multiplicity of negotiation tracks might fail the entire process.
The Libyan negotiations accelerated in light of the ceasefire announced by the Presidential Council and the House of Representatives of Tobruk on August 21, then the forces of retired Major General Khalifa Haftar lifted the siege on oil fields and ports last month, which allowed the resumption of oil production and export.
Party to dialogue
Meanwhile, military leaders and fighters from the Libyan Government of National Accord forces announced the formation of a political team representing the forces of Operation Volcano of Anger, to participate in the political dialogue between the parties to the Libyan crisis.
In a statement they issued in Tripoli, these leaders called for laying down the constitutional foundations for holding elections that would ensure a way out of the crisis, and they called on the various parties to accept the results of the elections.
These leaders affirmed their full support for combating corruption, and support for all state military and police institutions.
The Minister of the Interior in the Government of National Accord, Fathi Bashagha, said yesterday during his meeting in Tripoli, head of the European Union delegation to Libya, Jose Antonio, that the conditions are now ready to announce a political agreement that brings together all the Libyan parties.
He also said that the presence of Russian Wagner mercenaries in the oil fields confused the political scene in the country.
For his part, Antonio expressed his hope that the Libyan people themselves would reign in power without any outside interference.