Home / news / Regeni’s death .. The Egyptian prosecution closes the case, and Italy intends to act in international forums

Regeni’s death .. The Egyptian prosecution closes the case, and Italy intends to act in international forums

Yesterday, Wednesday, the Egyptian prosecution announced that a criminal case would not be instituted in the case of the murder of the Italian researcher Giulio Regeni in Cairo, and that the accusation of 5 security personnel was actually excluded, which was rejected by Italy.

In a statement by the Egyptian Public Prosecution, it was stated that “there is no point in instituting a criminal case in the incident of the killing, detention and torture of Giulio Regeni temporarily because of the lack of knowledge of the perpetrator, and the task of the search authorities to follow up the investigation to determine him.”

The statement also stated, “Excluding papers attributed to 4 officers and a police officer in the National Security Sector in that incident, and that there is no point in instituting a criminal case in the case of theft of the victim’s movable property under duress, because it has expired with the death of the accused.”

However, the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed its rejection of the Egyptian prosecution’s statement, and said that it would continue to move in international forums to uncover the circumstances of Regeni’s death and punish the perpetrators.

For his part, Italian Parliament Speaker Roberto Fico said that the Egyptian prosecution’s statement is provocative, and the justifications he put forward are unacceptable and shameful.

In statements to Al-Jazeera Mubasher, the head of the Italian Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee, Peru Vasilo, said that among those involved in the killing of Regeni were police and intelligence officers.

Vasilo added that the Egyptian Public Prosecution’s statement is unacceptable, as it offends Regeni’s family and the Italian government.

He confirmed that the investigation would continue as determined by the Italian judges

The Italian Regeni, 26, is a graduate student at the University of Cambridge, who was conducting research in Cairo to obtain a doctorate, and he disappeared for 9 days, after which his body was found with signs of torture in February 2016.

On 30 November last year, the “Prosecutor of the Republic in Rome” announced the suspicion that 5 members of the Egyptian security services were responsible for the killing of the Italian student, while the Egyptian prosecution in a statement at the time made reservations about suspicion of security personnel, and talked about “forming a gang” for the purpose of theft using documents False wish.

Tense relationships

For his part, an Amnesty International spokesperson in Italy said that the Egyptian Public Prosecution statement is unacceptable, and the Italian government must reject it.

In statements to la Repubblica newspaper, Ricardo Nuri said that the statement issued today should receive a strong response from the Italian side.

Relations between Cairo and Rome became tense after the discovery of Regeni’s body, especially in light of Italian media accusing the Egyptian security services of involvement in his torture and killing, which Cairo has repeatedly denied.

On December 18, European representatives called for activating the sanctions mechanism against the Egyptian regime due to its continuous violations of human rights, against the backdrop of the Regeni murder case.

The head of the European Parliament’s Human Rights Committee, Marie Arena, said during a session in Brussels to vote on a draft resolution discussing the human rights file in Egypt. “It is time to activate the sanctions mechanism against the Egyptian regime due to its continuous violations of human rights.”




Source link

Leave a Reply