Clashes are raging for the fifth day in a row in the Nagorno Karabakh region between the Azerbaijani and Armenian armies on several axes in Goran Boy, Tatar and Agdara in the north, and in Fozuli and Gabriel in the south.
Azerbaijani military sources confirmed to Al-Jazeera that its forces have made great progress on the Fuzuli front, and that Armenian forces inflicted heavy losses on the Goran Boy front.
And the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense published video clips showing a drone bombing of military vehicles and convoys, which the ministry said were Armenian and was heading to support the Armenian forces on the battle fronts.
For its part, the Armenian Ministry of Defense said that its forces shot down another drone belonging to the Azerbaijani army in the Nagorno Karabakh region, and indicated that the situation on the battle fronts is still tense.
The ministry emphasized that battles are raging with the Azerbaijani army on various front lines.
For his part, Armenian President Armen Sarkissian said that if the international community did not intervene to stop the war in Nagorny Karabakh, the Caucasus would turn into a complex problem, adding that it could turn into another Syria if the battles did not stop.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Armenia, Zahrab Manatsakyanian, also indicated that there is no alternative to a peaceful solution to the conflict over the region, and that there are no preconditions for Armenia for dialogue.
On the other hand, the Public Prosecution in the city of Tartar stated that a civilian was killed after a shell fell from the Armenian side near the main bus station in the city, bringing the death toll among Azerbaijani civilians since the beginning of the fighting to 16, in addition to dozens of wounded in a number of cities and villages around Nagorno Karabakh.
Al-Jazeera correspondent from Tatar Amer Lafi said that the situation is dangerous in Tartar, and most of the residents have left the city due to the indiscriminate shelling of its neighborhoods, noting that a man was killed after a shell landed near the main bus station in the city.
The correspondent stated that the sounds of shells are still being heard from time to time in a violent manner between the two parties, stressing the intensification of the battles on all axes, north and south.
And military sources in the Azerbaijani forces were quoted that there is progress in many places, and the Armenian forces collapsed on the northern fronts, according to the Azerbaijani forces.
Al-Jazeera correspondent said that there is popular support for the Azerbaijani army in this battle, which is viewed as a national issue, as if everyone was waiting for this battle.
Al-Jazeera correspondent Amin Darghami from Stepanakert also reported that its forces shot down an Azerbaijani military helicopter that took place inside Iranian territory in the south of the region.
A military spokesman also indicated that the southern front bordering Iran is witnessing fierce battles between Armenian forces and Azerbaijanis.
Russian President Vladimir Putin and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron called during a phone call yesterday evening, Wednesday, for a complete cessation of fighting in the Nagorno Karabakh region, stressing their readiness to intensify diplomatic efforts to contribute to resolving the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia, according to a Kremlin statement.
Moscow has previously expressed its concern about reports of foreign fighters being transferred to the conflict zone in the Nagorno Karabakh region, and said that “this not only leads to a greater escalation of tension in the region, but also poses a long-term threat to the security of all countries in the region,” according to The Russian Foreign Ministry statement mentioned.