Home / news / The Libyan Dialogue .. Canceling Al-Meshri’s visit to Morocco and linking it by consensus to points of contention

The Libyan Dialogue .. Canceling Al-Meshri’s visit to Morocco and linking it by consensus to points of contention

The spokesman for the Supreme Council of State in Libya, Mohamed Abdel Nasser, told Al-Jazeera that the dialogue sessions in Bouznika, Morocco, are continuing, with his assertion that no clear understandings have been reached in a number of the files presented.

Abdel Nasser added that the visit of the head of the Supreme Council of State, Khaled al-Mashri, to Morocco, which was previously announced today, Thursday, has been canceled, until there is agreement between the State and Parliament in Tobruk on a number of points of contention.

For his part, Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita said that the principled position of Moroccan King Mohammed VI regarding the Libyan crisis is that the solution can only be Libyan, political and comprehensive, and it cannot be military.

In an interview with the Institute for Security Studies in South Africa, Bourita stressed that the current impasse can be overcome if foreign interference in Libya stops immediately, especially the arms flows that fuel the conflict, threatening the security of the entire Sahel and Maghreb region.

The Moroccan Foreign Minister added that the results of the Libyan dialogue, which was held at the beginning of the month in Morocco, represent an important step that would transform the stalemate that lasted several years into a real momentum.

Nasser Bourita: The principled position of Moroccan King Mohammed VI regarding the Libyan crisis is that the solution can only be Libyan, political and comprehensive (French)

Reasons for postponement

A member of the council, who asked not to be named, told Anadolu Agency earlier Wednesday that logistical reasons had led to the postponement of the second round of dialogue, which was expected Thursday, to an unspecified date.

This tour was scheduled to start on Sunday, then postponed to Tuesday, before Libyan media announced that it would take place on Thursday and then postponed again.

Between September 6 and 10, Morocco hosted the first round of the Libyan dialogue between the delegation of the Supreme Council of State and the delegation of the Tobruk Parliament.

The two parties to the dialogue had reached a comprehensive agreement on the mechanism for assuming sovereign positions, and the resumption of the sessions in the last week of this month, to complete the necessary procedures regarding the activation and implementation of the agreement.

On September 16, the head of the Libyan Presidency Council, Fayez al-Sarraj, announced his sincere desire to hand over his duties to the next executive authority, no later than the end of next October, provided that the dialogue committee has completed its work.




Source link

Leave a Reply