On the fourth of last November, clashes erupted in Tigray between the Federal Army and the “Tigray People’s Liberation Front”, before Addis Ababa announced on the 28th of the same month that the “law enforcement” operation had ended by controlling the entire region.
On Tuesday evening, the US State Department called on the Ethiopian government to stop the military actions and withdraw its forces from Tigray (the north of the country), and indicated that there were “credible reports of atrocities, violations and violations of human rights.”
The ministry said that Foreign Minister Anthony Blinken urged Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to take immediate and concrete steps to protect civilians, including refugees, and prevent further violence.
In a phone call to Ahmed, Blinken requested that “the Ethiopian government cooperate with the international community to facilitate independent, international and credible investigations into reports of human rights violations and hold those behind them to account.”
Blinken had said two days ago in a tweet that his country was deeply concerned about reports of atrocities committed in the Tigray region, and that Washington strongly condemned the killings, enforced disappearances, sexual violence and other human rights violations.
War and violations
The Tigray region – with a population of about 5 million – is witnessing a war between the federal forces and the former ruling party, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Tigray.
A few days ago, the New York Times said it had seen a classified US government report saying that Ethiopian government officials and allied militia fighters were leading a systematic campaign of ethnic cleansing in Tigray.
The report – which was prepared earlier in February – documents the looting, rape and displacement of a number of villages, where the fate of tens of thousands of people is unknown.
The report indicates that fighters and officials from the Amhara region joined the ethnic cleansing operations in Tigray, in the context of their support for Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.
The New York Times said that the deteriorating situation in the region, against the backdrop of the military campaign that Abiy Ahmed launched last November against the Tigray People’s Liberation Front, is taking shape to become the first major test of US President Joe Biden’s administration in Africa.
The newspaper pointed out that former President Donald Trump had little interest in the brown continent, and had never visited it, but President Joe Biden promised a more active approach.
It is noteworthy that on the fourth of last November, clashes erupted in Tigray between the federal army and the “Tigray People’s Liberation Front”, before Addis Ababa announced on the 28th of the same month that the “law enforcement” process had ended with controlling the entire region.