There are mutual warnings between Washington and Tehran of escalation after the US embassy in Baghdad was subjected to missile attacks days ago, and the United States accused Iran of being behind those attacks, which Tehran denies.
Amir Hossein Qazizadeh Hashemi, the first deputy speaker of the Iranian parliament, said that his country is not concerned about the American nuclear submarine entering the Gulf waters, indicating that Iranian forces are able to hunt down the American nuclear submarine, “USS Georgia” with a fishing net.
Hashemi added that it is not the first time that such moves have occurred, and it has not happened that the Gulf was devoid of foreign presence, as Britain and the United States established bases in the Gulf, and wherever these two countries are found, this means that Israel infiltrated.
He said that these rules are in the name of Britain and the United States; But it is officially in the hands of Israel, noting that his country does not recognize it. It is part of the US identity in West Asia, so this is neither new nor serious for Iran.
He stressed that Iran’s hands are “full,” explaining, “Just as we were able to shoot down the American drone last year, in the depths of the Gulf we can easily hunt American whales with a fishing net, so we will not worry much about that.”
Hashemi added that whether it was a nuclear submarine or not, this is a source of concern for the Arab countries in the Gulf, which depend on desalination of water from the Gulf and the Sea of Oman, and in the event of a nuclear explosion in that region, this will lead to contamination of the water with radioactive materials, and the desalination plants will be destroyed. In the Arab countries in the Gulf, the circumstances of those countries will be complicated, as he put it.
The first deputy speaker added that “anything that enters this area, whether it is a submarine or an aircraft carrier, will be within our reach. It will not be a target that we will definitely strike; but we will take it, and it will become ours.”
On Wednesday, US President Donald Trump said that he would hold “Iran responsible” in the event of an attack that killed Americans in Iraq, as the first anniversary of the assassination of the Iranian general, Qassem Soleimani, approached by an American strike in Baghdad.
For his part, Robert O’Brien, the US National Security Adviser, warned Iran against targeting Americans in the Middle East, and stressed in an interview with Fox News that Iran would be responsible for the killing of any American in the region.
Last Sunday, the US embassy in Baghdad was subjected to missile attacks launched by groups believed to be linked to Iran, without causing any loss of life.
However, Iraqi sources announced that the commander of the Iranian Quds Force, Major General Ismail Qaani, visited Iraq 3 days ago to clarify Iran’s position on the attack on the US embassy in Baghdad.
Those sources said that Qaani told Iraqi officials that Iran was not responsible for the attacks on US interests, saying that his country would not be dragged into a military action that Washington would determine its time and location.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif wrote – on Twitter Thursday – that Donald Trump “uses a worthless image to accuse Iran,” adding that the outgoing president “will take full responsibility for any adventure” he takes.
Zarif accused the US president of “exposing his citizens to danger abroad”, in an attempt to divert “attention from the catastrophic failures” in the face of the Corona epidemic in the United States.
The “Axios” news site revealed, on Wednesday, that the United States intends to close its embassy in Baghdad, following a series of missile attacks on the Green Zone by armed groups backed by Iran.
But a US State Department official confirmed that the US ambassador to Iraq is still present, and that the US embassy in Baghdad continues to operate normally.